VMFS5 is a new version of the VMware cluster file system that provides performance and scalability improvements.
- If you use a VMFS2 datastore, you must first upgrade it to VMFS3. Follow the instructions in Upgrade VMFS2 Datastores to VMFS3.
- All hosts accessing the datastore must support VMFS5.
- Verify that the volume to be upgraded has at least 2MB of free blocks available and 1 free file descriptor.
- Log in to the vSphere Client, and select a host from the inventory panel.
- Click the Configuration tab and click Storage.
- Select the VMFS3 datastore.
- Click Upgrade to VMFS5.
A warning message about host version support appears.
- Click OK to start the upgrade.
The task Upgrade VMFS appears in the Recent Tasks list.
- Perform a rescan on all hosts that are associated with the datastore.