Create a VMkernel network adapter for use as a vMotion interface or an IP storage port group.
- Select the host in the inventory pane.
- On the host Configuration tab, click Networking.
- In the vSphere Standard Switch view, click Add Networking.
- Select VMkernel and click Next.
- Select the vSphere standard switch to use, or select Create a vSphere standard switch to create a new vSphere standard switch.
- Select the check boxes for the network adapters for your vSphere standard switch to use.
Select adapters for each vSphere standard switch so that virtual machines or other services that connect through the adapter can reach the correct Ethernet segment. If no adapters appear under Create a new vSphere standard switch, all the network adapters in the system are being used by existing vSphere standard switches or vSphere distributed switches. You can either create a vSphere standard switch without a network adapter, or select a network adapter that an existing vSphere standard switch uses.
- Click Next.
- Select or enter a network label and a VLAN ID.
A name that identifies the port group that you are creating. This is the label that you specify when you configure VMkernel services such as vMotion and IP storage and you configure a virtual adapter to be attached to this port group.
Identifies the VLAN that the port group’s network traffic will use.
- (Optional) : Select Use this port group for vMotion to enable this port group to advertise itself to another host as the network connection through which vMotion traffic should be sent.
- (Optional) : Select Use this port group for fault tolerance logging.
- (Optional) : Select Use this port group for management traffic.
- If IPv6 is enabled on the host, select IP (Default), IPv6, or IP and IPv6 networking.
This option does not appear on hosts that do not have IPv6 enabled. IPv6 configuration cannot be used with dependent hardware iSCSI adapters.
- Click Next.
- Select how to obtain IP settings.
Obtain IP settings automatically
Use DHCP to obtain IP settings.
Use the following IP settings
Specify IP settings manually.
Enter the IP address and subnet mask for the VMkernel interface.
Click Edit to set the VMkernel Default Gateway for VMkernel services, such as vMotion, NAS, and iSCSI.
On the DNS Configuration tab, the name of the host is entered by default. The DNS server addresses that were specified during installation are also preselected, as is the domain.
Click OK and click Next.
- If you are using IPv6 for the VMkernel interface, select an option for obtaining IPv6 addresses.
Obtain IPv6 addresses automatically through DHCP
Use DHCP to obtain IPv6 addresses.
Obtain IPv6 addresses automatically through router advertisement
Use router advertisement to obtain IPv6 addresses.
Static IPv6 addresses
Click Add to add a new IPv6 address.
Enter the IPv6 address and subnet prefix length, and click OK.
To change the VMkernel default gateway, click Edit.
- Click Next.
- Review the information, click Back to change any entries, and click Finish.