You can use a physical drive on a client or host or you can use an ISO image to add a DVD/CD-ROM drive to a virtual machine.
About this task
If you are adding a CD/DVD-ROM drive that is backed by USB CD/DVD drive on the host, you must add the drive as a SCSI device. Hot adding or removing SCSI devices from an ESXi host is not supported.
You cannot use vMotion to migrate virtual machines that have CD drives that are backed by the physical CD drive on the host. You must disconnect these devices before you migrate the virtual machine.
Ensure that the host is powered off before you add USB DVD/CD-ROM devices.
- In the vSphere Client inventory, right-click the virtual machine and select Edit Settings.
- Select the Hardware tab and click Add.
- Select DVD/CD-ROM Drive, and click Next.
- Select one option.
Use physical drive
Select Client or Host as the location.
Select the drive you want to use from the drop-down menu.
Select a Pass through (recommended) or ATAPI emulation connection type.
Use ISO Image
Enter the path and filename for the image file, or click Browse to navigate to the file.
- If you do not want the CD-ROM drive connected when the virtual machine starts, deselect Connect at power on.
- Click Next.
- Select the virtual device node the drive uses in the virtual machine and click Next.
- Review the information on the Ready to Complete window, and click Finish or click Back to change the settings.
- Click OK to save your changes.