Create the only node in a standalone, Simple Install vCenter Single Sign-On installation, and install the vSphere Web Client and vCenter Inventory Service.
About this task
You can use Simple Install for the first vCenter Single Sign-On and vCenter Server in a deployment with multiple vCenter Servers. Succeeding instances of vCenter Single Sign-On and vCenter Server in the same deployment must be installed by using Custom Install. For more information about vCenter Single Sign-On, see How vCenter Single Sign-On Affects vCenter Server Installation. and the vSphere Security documentation.
vCenter Server 5.5 supports connection between vCenter Server and vCenter Server components by IP address only if the IP address is IPv4-compliant. To connect to a vCenter Server system in an IPv6 environment, you must use the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) or host name of the vCenter Server. The best practice is to use the FQDN, which works in all cases, instead of the IP address, which can change if assigned by DHCP.
Download the vCenter Server installer. See Download the vCenter Server Installer.
- In the software installer directory, double-click the autorun.exe file to start the installer.
- Select Simple Install, and click Install.
- Follow the prompts in the installation wizard to review the Welcome page and accept the end user patent and license agreements.
- If the prerequisites check screen shows any problems, cancel the installation, correct the problems, and restart the installer.
- Set the password for the vCenter Single Sign-On administrator account.
This is the password for the user firstname.lastname@example.org. vsphere.local is a new domain that is created by vCenter Single Sign-On. After installation, you can log in to vCenter Single Sign-On and in to vCenter Server as email@example.com.
By default, the password must have at least eight characters, at least one lowercase character, one uppercase character, one number, and one special character. See the vSphere Security documentation for information about changing the password policy. The following characters are not supported in passwords: non-ASCII characters, semicolon (;), double quotation mark ("), single quotation mark ('), circumflex (^), and backslash (\).
- Enter the site name for vCenter Single Sign-On.
Choose your own name for the vCenter Single Sign-On site.
- Accept or change the HTTPS port for vCenter Single Sign-On.
- Select the folder in which to install vCenter Single Sign-On.
The installation path cannot contain any of the following characters: non-ASCII characters, commas (,), periods (.), exclamation points (!), pound signs (#), at signs (@), or percentage signs (%).
- Review the installation options and click Install.
The vCenter Single Sign-On installation begins. When the vCenter Single Sign-On installation is complete, the installer proceeds with the vSphere Web Client and vCenter Inventory Service installations.
No input is required for a new Simple Install installation of the vSphere Web Client and vCenter Inventory Service.
After each component is installed, the installer might take a few minutes to start the installer for the next component.