You should back up the Inventory Service database as part of your regular vCenter Server database administration.
To move the Inventory Service database to a different host machine, back up the database on the source machine and restore the database on the destination machine.
- Consult your database administrator about backing up and restoring databases.
- Verify that you have system administrator privileges to perform backup or restore operations.
- On the source machine, open a console and run the
service vmware-inventoryservice stopcommand to stop the Inventory Service before you restore the Inventory Service database.
- On the source machine, open a command prompt in the vCenter Server and change the directory to /usr/lib/vmware-vpx/inventoryservice/scripts/.
- Run the following command to back up the Inventory Service database.
./backup.sh -file backup_file_nameWhen the backup operation finishes, the message Backup completed successfully appears.