You should back up the Inventory Service database as part of your regular vCenter Server database administration.
To move the Inventory Service database to a different host machine, back up the database on the source machine and restore the database on the destination machine. Your vCenter Server database administration should also include regular backups of your vCenter Server database. See the vendor documentation for your vCenter server database type.
- Consult your database administrator about backing up and restoring databases.
- Verify that you have system administrator privileges to perform backup or restore operations.
- On the source machine, stop the Inventory Service.
- From the Windows Administrative Tools control panel, select Services.
and select .The Status changes from Started to blank.
- On the source machine, open the command prompt in the vCenter Server and change the directory to vCenter_Server_installation_directory\Infrastructure\Inventory Service\scripts.
- Run the following command at the prompt to back up the Inventory Service database.
backup.bat -file backup_file_nameWhen the backup operation finishes, the message Backup completed successfully appears.