You can add one or more VIBs to an image profile if that image profile is not set to ReadOnly. If the new VIB depends on other VIBs or conflicts with other VIBs in the profile, a message is displayed at the PowerShell prompt and the VIB is not added.
You can add VIBs from VMware or from VMware partners to an image profile. If you add VMware VIBs, the Image Builder PowerCLI performs validation. If you add VIBs from two or more OEM partners, no errors are reported but the resulting image profile might not work. Install VIBs from only one OEM vendor at a time.
You might be able to add VIBs even if the resulting image profile is invalid.
- Install the VMware PowerCLI and all prerequisite software. See Install Image Builder PowerCLI and Prerequisite Software.
- Administrators performing this task must have some experience with PowerCLI or Microsoft PowerShell.
- Run Add-EsxSoftwareDepot for each depot you want to work with.
Depot Type Cmdlet Remote depot Run Add-EsxSoftwareDepot -DepotUrl depot_url. ZIP file
The cmdlet returns one or more SoftwareDepot objects.
- Download the ZIP file to a local file path.
- Run Add-EsxSoftwareDepot -DepotUrl C:\file_path\offline-bundle.zip
- Run Get-EsxImageProfile to list all image profiles in all currently visible depots.
Get-EsxImageProfileThe cmdlet returns all available profiles. You can narrow your search by using the optional arguments to filter the output.
- Clone the profile.
New-EsxImageProfile -CloneProfile My_Profile -Name "Test Profile 42" -Vendor "My Vendor"Image profiles published by VMware and its partners are read only. To make changes, you clone the image profile. The vendor parameter is required.
- Run Add-EsxSoftwarePackage to add a new package to one of the image profile.
Add-EsxSoftwarePackage -ImageProfile My_Profile -SoftwarePackage partner-packageThe cmdlet runs the standard validation tests on the image profile. If validation succeeds, the cmdlet returns a modified, validated image profile. If the VIB that you want to add depends on a different VIB, the cmdlet displays that information and includes the VIB that would resolve the dependency. If the acceptance level of the VIB that you want to add is lower than the image profile acceptance level, an error results.
- (Optional) If an error about acceptance level problems displays, you can change the acceptance level of the image profile.
In that case, you also have to change the acceptance level of the host. Consider carefully whether changing the host acceptance level is appropriate. VIB acceptance levels are set during VIB creation and cannot be changed.