You can restore a backup of your Inventory Service database for disaster recovery, after a vCenter Server upgrade, or to move the database to a new machine.
The machine that you back up the database from is the source machine. The machine that you restore the database to is the destination machine.
- Consult your database administrator about backing up and restoring databases.
- Verify that you have system administrator privileges to perform backup or restore operations.
- On the destination machine, stop the Inventory Service.
- From the Windows Administrative Tools control panel, select Services.
and select .The Status changes from Started to blank.
- On the destination machine, open the command prompt in the vCenter Server and change the directory to vCenter Server install location\Infrastructure\Inventory Service\scripts.
- Run the following command at the command prompt to restore the Inventory Service database.
restore -backup backup_file_nameWhen the restore operation finishes, the message The Restore completed successfully message appears.