Before you can create a VM-Host affinity rule, you must create the host DRS group and the virtual machine DRS group that the rule applies to.
About this task
For a cluster of virtual machines on one physical host, create one host DRS group that contains the ESXi hosts. For example, HostGroup_1 contains ESXi_HOST_1 and ESXi_HOST_2.
For a cluster of virtual machines across physical hosts, create groups with sets of hosts that do not overlap. This ensures that virtual machines placed in different host groups do not ever run on the same host simultaneously.
- Browse to the cluster in the vSphere Web Client navigator.
- Click the Manage tab.
- Click Settings, click DRS Groups and click Add.
- In the DRS Group dialog box, type a name for the group (for example, HostGroup_1).
- Select Host DRS Group from the Type drop down box and click Add.
- Click the check box next to a host to add it. Continue this process until all desired hosts have been added.
- Click OK.