Import a stored configuration file to create a new vSphere Distributed Switch or to restore a switch that has been deleted earlier.
About this task
In vSphere 5.1 or later, you can import a distributed switch by using vSphere Web Client.
The configuration file contains the networking settings of the switch. By using it you can also replicate the switch in other virtual environments.
You can use a saved configuration file to replicate the switch instance, its host associations, and policies. You cannot replicate the connection of physical NICs to uplink ports or ports on link aggregation groups.
- In the vSphere Web Client, navigate to a datacenter.
- Right-click the datacenter and select .
- Browse to the location of the configuration file.
- To assign the keys from the configuration file to the switch and its port groups, select the Preserve original distributed switch and port group identifiers check box and click Next.
If you select the Preserve original distributed switch and port group identifiers when you create a switch by using the configuration file of a deleted switch, all hosts that have been connected to the deleted switch are added again.
- Review the settings for the switch and click Finish.
A new distributed switch is created with settings from the configuration file. If you have included distributed port group information in the configuration file, the port groups are also created.