For hosts that are associated with a distributed switch, you can assign physical NICs to uplinks on the switch. You can configure physical NICs on the distributed switch for multiple hosts at a time.
About this task
For consistent networking configuration throughout all hosts, you can assign the same physical NIC on every host to the same uplink on the distributed switch. For example, you can assign vmnic1 from hosts ESXi A and ESXi B to Uplink 1.
- In the vSphere Web Client, navigate to the distributed switch.
- From the Actions menu, select Add and Manage Hosts.
- Select Manage host networking and click Next.
- Click Attached hosts and select from the hosts that are associated with the distributed switch.
- Click Next.
- Select Manage physical adapters and click Next.
- From the On other switches/unclaimed list select a physical NIC .
If you select physical NICs that are already assigned to other switches, they are migrated to the current distributed switch.
- Click Assign uplink.
- Select an uplink or select Auto-assign.
- Click Next.
- Review the impacted services as well as the level of impact.
The service will continue its normal function after the new networking configuration is applied.
The normal function of the service might be disrupted if the new networking configuration is applied.
The normal function of the service will be interrupted if the new networking configuration is applied.
- If impact on a service is important or critical, click the service and review the reasons that are displayed in the Analysis details pane.
- After you troubleshoot the impact on all dependent services, proceed with your networking configuration.
- Click Next and click Finish.