ESXi allows you to shape both inbound and outbound traffic on vSphere distributed port groups. The traffic shaper restricts the network bandwidth available to any port in the group, but might also be configured to temporarily allow “bursts” of traffic to flow through a port at higher speeds.
About this task
A traffic shaping policy is defined by three characteristics: average bandwidth, peak bandwidth, and burst size.
- Browse to a distributed switch in the vSphere Web Client navigator.
- Right-click the distributed switch in the navigator and select Manage Distributed Port Groups.
- Select the Traffic Shaping check box and click Next.
- On the Select port groups page, select a port group from the list and click Next
- Click Traffic shaping, and select the Override check box to override ingress traffic shaping, egress traffic shaping, or both.
The traffic is classified to ingress and egress according to the traffic direction in the switch, not in the host.
If you enable either Ingress Traffic Shaping or Egress Traffic Shaping by using the Status drop-down menus, you are setting limits on the amount of networking bandwidth allocated for each VMkernel adapter or virtual network adapter associated with this particular port group. If you disable the policy, services have a free, clear connection to the physical network by default.
Establishes the number of bits per second to allow across a port, averaged over time, that is, the allowed average load.
The maximum number of bits per second to allow across a port when it is sending or receiving a burst of traffic. This parameter tops the bandwidth used by a port whenever it is using its burst bonus.
The maximum number of bytes to allow in a burst. If this parameter is set, a port might gain a burst bonus when it does not use all its allocated bandwidth. Whenever the port needs more bandwidth than specified by Average Bandwidth, it might be allowed to temporarily transmit data at a higher speed if a burst bonus is available. This parameter tops the number of bytes that might be accumulated in the burst bonus and transferred at a higher speed.
- Review your settings and click Finish.
Use the Back button to edit any settings.