You can export vSphere distributed switch and distributed port group configurations to a file. The file preserves valid network configurations, enabling distribution of these configurations to other deployments
About this task
This functionality is available only with the vSphere Web Client 5.1 or later. However, you can export settings from any version of a distributed switch if you use the vSphere Web Client or later.
- Browse to a distributed switch in the vSphere Web Client navigator.
- Right-click the distributed switch in the navigator and select .
- Choose to export the distributed switch configuration, or export the distributed switch configuration and all port groups.
- (Optional) : Enter notes about this configuration in the Descriptions field.
- Click OK.
- Click Yes to save the configuration file to your local system.
You now have a configuration file that contains all the settings for the selected distributed switch and distributes port group. You can use this file to create multiple copies of this configuration on an existing deployment, or overwrite settings of existing distributed switches and port groups to conform to the selected settings.
What to do next
Use the exported configuration file to do the following tasks:
To create a copy of the exported distributed switch, see Import a vSphere Distributed Switch Configuration by Using the vSphere Web Client.
To overwrite settings on an existing distributed switch, see Restore a vSphere Distributed Switch Configuration with the vSphere Web Client.
You can also export, import, and restore only port group configurations. See Export, Import, and Restore vSphere Distributed Port Group Configurations.