When you set up CHAP name and secret at the iSCSI adapter level, all targets receive the same parameters from the adapter. By default, all discovery addresses or static targets inherit CHAP parameters that you set up at the adapter level.
Before you begin
Before setting up CHAP parameters for software or dependent hardware iSCSI, determine whether to configure unidirectional or bidirectional CHAP. Independent hardware iSCSI adapters do not support bidirectional CHAP.
Verify CHAP parameters configured on the storage side. Parameters that you configure must match the ones one the storage side.
About this task
The CHAP name should not exceed 511 alphanumeric characters and the CHAP secret should not exceed 255 alphanumeric characters. Some adapters, for example the QLogic adapter, might have lower limits, 255 for the CHAP name and 100 for the CHAP secret.
- Display storage adapters and select the iSCSI adapter to configure.
- Under Adapter Details, click the Properties tab and click Edit in the Authentication panel.
- Specify authentication method.
Use unidirectional CHAP if required by target
Use unidirectional CHAP unless prohibited by target
Use unidirectional CHAP
Use bidirectional CHAP. To configure bidirectional CHAP, you must select this option.
- Specify the outgoing CHAP name.
Make sure that the name you specify matches the name configured on the storage side.
To set the CHAP name to the iSCSI adapter name, select Use initiator name.
To set the CHAP name to anything other than the iSCSI initiator name, deselect Use initiator name and type a name in the Name text box.
- Enter an outgoing CHAP secret to be used as part of authentication. Use the same secret that you enter on the storage side.
- If configuring bidirectional CHAP, specify incoming CHAP credentials.
Make sure to use different secrets for the outgoing and incoming CHAP.
- Click OK.
- Rescan the iSCSI adapter.
If you change the CHAP parameters, they are used for new iSCSI sessions. For existing sessions, new settings are not used until you log out and log in again.