To use Virtual SAN, you must create a host cluster and enable Virtual SAN on the cluster.
- A Virtual SAN cluster must include the minimum of three ESXi hosts.
- For the Virtual SAN cluster to tolerate host and disk failures, at least three hosts that join the Virtual SAN cluster must have storage disks.
- Only ESXi 5.5 hosts can join the Virtual SAN cluster.
- Before you move a host from a Virtual SAN cluster to another cluster, make sure the destination cluster is enabled with Virtual SAN.
- To be able to access the Virtual SAN datastore, an ESXi host must be a member of the Virtual SAN cluster.
After you enable Virtual SAN, the Virtual SAN storage provider is automatically registered with vCenter Server and the Virtual SAN datastore is created. For information about storage providers, see Using Storage Providers.