You can change the percentage of space allocated for host cache or disable the host's ability to swap to host cache.
Before you begin
You must have an SSD-backed datastore in your inventory.
About this task
Use this procedure if your ESXi host is version 5.1 or earlier, or if you do not have a virtual flash licence. To configure host cache on an ESXi 5.5 or later host that has a virtual flash licence, use the virtual flash resource. For information, see About VMware vSphere Flash Read Cache.
- Browse to the host in the vSphere Web Client navigator.
- Click the Manage tab.
- Under the Storage tab, click Host Cache Configuration.
- Select the datastore in the list and click the Allocate space for host cache icon.
- Select a size for the host cache allocation on the drive.
- To disable the ability for the host to swap to host cache on a per-datastore basis, deselect the Allocate space for host cache check box.
- Click OK.