Assign WWN settings to virtual machine with an RDM disk.
You can create from 1 to 16 WWN pairs, which can be mapped to the first 1 to 16 physical FC HBAs on the host.
Create a virtual machine with an RDM disk. See Create Virtual Machines with RDMs in the vSphere Web Client.
- In the vSphere Web Client, browse to the virtual machine.
- Right-click the virtual machine and select Edit Settings.
- Click VM Options.
- Click the Fibre Channel NPIV triangle to expand the NPIV options.
- Deselect the Temporarily Disable NPIV for this virtual machine check box.
- Select Generate new WWNs.
- Specify the number of WWNNs and WWPNs.
A minimum of 2 WWPNs are needed to support failover with NPIV. Typically only 1 WWNN is created for each virtual machine.
The host creates WWN assignments for the virtual machine.
What to do next
Register newly created WWNs in the fabric so that the virtual machine is able to log in to the switch, and assign storage LUNs to the WWNs.