You can upgrade your VMFS3 datastore to VMFS5. VMFS5 is a new version of the VMware cluster file system that provides performance and scalability improvements.
Before you begin
If you have a VMFS2 datastore, you must first upgrade it to VMFS3 using an ESX/ESXi 3.x or ESX/ESXi 4.x host. Use the vSphere Host Client to access the host.
All hosts accessing the datastore must support VMFS5.
Verify that the volume to be upgraded has at least 2MB of free blocks available and 1 free file descriptor.
Browse to Datastores in the vSphere Web Client navigator. See Display Datastore Information in the vSphere Web Client.
About this task
You can perform an upgrade while the datastore is in use with virtual machines powered on.
- Click the datastore to upgrade.
- Click the Manage tab, and click Settings.
- Click Upgrade to VMFS5.
- Verify that the hosts accessing the datastore support VMFS5.
- Click OK to start the upgrade.
- Perform a rescan on all hosts that are associated with the datastore.
The datastore is upgraded to VMFS5 and is available to all hosts that are associated with the datastore.