You can apply a storage policy to a virtual machine to specify storage requirements for applications that run on the virtual machine.
About this task
You can apply a policy to a powered-off or powered-on virtual machine.
- In the vSphere Web Client, browse to the virtual machine.
- Click the Manage tab, and click VM Storage Policies.
- Click Manage VM Storage Policies.
- Apply the storage policy to the virtual machine configuration files by selecting the policy from the Home VM Storage Policy drop-down menu.
The virtual machine configuration files include .vmx, .vmsd, .nvram, and so on.
- Apply the storage policy to virtual disks.
Click Apply to disks to apply the same home policy to all virtual disks.
Under VM Storage Policies for Virtual Disks, select a virtual disk and apply a policy from the VM Storage Policy drop-down menu. This option associates each virtual disk with a specified policy. Use this option if you store your virtual disks separately from the virtual machine configuration files.
- Click OK.
The storage policy is assigned to the virtual machine and its disks.