Install UMDS if the machine on which Update Manager is installed does not have access to the Internet.
Before you begin
Ensure that the machine on which you install UMDS has Internet access, so that UMDS can download upgrades, patch metadata and patch binaries.
Uninstall UMDS 1.0.x or UMDS 4.x if it is installed on the machine. If such a version of UMDS is already installed, the installation wizard displays an error message and the installation cannot proceed.
Before you install UMDS create a database instance and configure it. If you install UMDS on 64-bit machine, you must configure a 32-bit DSN and test it from ODBC. The database privileges and preparation steps are the same as the ones used for Update Manager. For more information, see Preparing the Update Manager Database.
UMDS and Update Manager must be installed on different machines.
To ensure optimal performance, install UMDS on a system with requirements same as the ones for the Update Manager server listed in System Requirements.
- Insert the VMware vSphere Update Manager installation DVD into the DVD drive of the Windows server that will host UMDS.
- Browse to the umds folder on the DVD and run VMware-UMDS.exe.
- Select the language for the installation and click OK.
- (Optional) : If the wizard prompts you, install the required items such as Windows Installer 4.5.
This step is required only if Windows Installer 4.5 is not present on your machine and you must perform it the first time you install a vSphere 5.x product. After the system restarts, the installer launches again.
- Review the Welcome page and click Next.
- Read the patent agreement and click Next.
- Accept the terms in the license agreement and click Next.
- Select the database options and click Next.
If you do not have an existing database, select Install a Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express instance (for small scale deployments).
If you want to use an existing database, select Use an existing supported database and select your database from the list of DSNs. If the DSN does not use Windows NT authentication, enter the user name and password for the DSN and click Next.
- Enter the Update Manager Download Service proxy settings and click Next.
- Select the Update Manager Download Service installation and patch download directories and click Next.
If you do not want to use the default locations, you can click Change to browse to a different directory. You can select the patch store to be an existing download directory from a previous UMDS 4.x installation and reuse the applicable downloaded updates in UMDS 5.5. After you associate an existing download directory with UMDS 5.5, you cannot use it with earlier UMDS versions.
- (Optional) : In the warning message about the disk free space, click OK.
- Click Install to begin the installation.
- Click OK in the Warning message notifying you that .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is not installed.
The UMDS installer installs the prerequisite before the actual product installation.
- Click Finish.
UMDS is installed.