You can configure the vSphere Client to scan virtual machines, virtual appliances, and ESX/ESXi hosts at specific times or at intervals that are convenient for you.
- Connect the vSphere Client to a vCenter Server system with which Update Manager is registered and select
in the navigation bar.
If your vCenter Server system is part of a connected group in vCenter Linked Mode, specify the Update Manager instance that you want to use to schedule a scan task by selecting the name of the corresponding vCenter Server system in the navigation bar.
- Click New in the toolbar to open the Schedule Task dialog box.
- Select Scan for Updates and click OK.
- Select the type of vSphere infrastructure object to scan, and click Next.
- In the inventory tree, select the inventory object to be scanned and click Next.
All child objects of the object that you select are also scanned.
- Select the types of updates to scan for and click Next.
- Enter a unique name, and optionally, a description for the scan.
- Set the frequency and the start time for the task and click Next.
- (Optional) Specify one or more email addresses to send the results to and click Next.
You must configure mail settings for the vCenter Server system to enable this option.
- Review the Ready to Complete page and click Finish.
The scan task is listed in the Scheduled Tasks view of the vSphere Client.