Dynamic baselines consist of a set of patches that meet certain criteria. The contents of a dynamic baseline varies as the available patches change. You can also exclude or add specific patches. Patches you select to add or exclude do not change with new patch downloads.
Before you begin
Connect the vSphere Client to a vCenter Server system with which Update Manager is registered, and on the Home page, click Update Manager under Solutions and Applications. If your vCenter Server system is part of a connected group in vCenter Linked Mode, you must specify the Update Manager instance to use, by selecting the name of the corresponding vCenter Server system in the navigation bar.
- On the Baselines and Groups tab, click Create above the Baselines pane.
- Type a name, and optionally, a description of the baseline.
- Under Baseline Type select Host Patch, and click Next.
- Select Dynamic as the type of baseline, and click Next.
- On the Dynamic Baseline Criteria page, specify criteria to define the patches to include, and then click Next.
Specifies which patch vendor to use.
Restricts the set of patches to the selected products or operating systems.
The asterisk at the end of a product name is a wildcard character for any version number.
Specifies the severity of patches to include.
Specifies the category of patches to include.
Specifies the range for the release dates of the patches.
The relationship between these fields is defined by the Boolean operator AND.
For example, when you select a product and severity option, the patches are restricted to the ones that are applicable for the selected product and are of the specified severity level.
- (Optional) : On the Patches to Exclude page, select one or more patches in the list and click the down arrow to permanently exclude them from the baseline.
- (Optional) : Click Advanced to search for specific patches to exclude from the baseline.
- Click Next.
- (Optional) : On the Other Patches to Add page, select individual patches to include in the baseline and click the down arrow to move them into the Fixed Patches to Add list.
The patches you add to the dynamic baseline stay in the baseline regardless of the new downloaded patches.
- (Optional) : Click Advanced to search for specific patches to include in the baseline.
- Click Next.
- On the Ready to Complete page, click Finish.
The new baseline is displayed in the Baselines pane of the Baselines and Groups tab.