Extension baselines contain additional software for ESX/ESXi hosts. This additional software might be VMware software or third-party software. You create host extension baselines using the New Baseline wizard.
About this task
Extensions can provide additional features, updated drivers for hardware, Common Information Model (CIM) providers for managing third-party modules on the host, improvements to the performance or usability of existing host features, and so on.
Host extension baselines that you create are always fixed. You must carefully select the appropriate extensions for the ESX/ESXi hosts in your environment.
To perform the initial installation of an extension, you must use an extension baseline. After the extension is installed on the host, you can update the extension module with either patch or extension baselines.
When applying extension baselines by using Update Manager, you must be aware of the functional implications of new modules to the host. Extension modules might alter the behavior of ESX/ESXi hosts. During installation of extensions, Update Manager only performs the checks and verifications expressed at the package level.
Connect the vSphere Client to a vCenter Server system with which Update Manager is registered, and on the Home page, click Update Manager under Solutions and Applications. If your vCenter Server system is part of a connected group in vCenter Linked Mode, you must specify the Update Manager instance to use, by selecting the name of the corresponding vCenter Server system in the navigation bar.
- On the Baselines and Groups tab, click Create above the Baselines pane.
- Type a name, and optionally, a description of the baseline.
- Under Baseline Type, select Host Extension and click Next.
- On the Extensions page, select individual extensions to include in the baseline and click the down arrow to add them to the Included Extensions list.
- (Optional) Click Advanced to filter the extensions to include specific extensions in the baseline.
- Click Next.
- On the Ready to Complete page, click Finish.
The new baseline is displayed in the Baselines pane of the Baselines and Groups tab.