If your deployment system is connected to the Internet, you can directly download ESX/ESXi patches and extensions, as well as virtual appliance upgrades.
Before you begin
Connect the vSphere Client to a vCenter Server system with which Update Manager is registered, and on the Home page, click Update Manager under Solutions and Applications. If your vCenter Server system is part of a connected group in vCenter Linked Mode, you must specify the Update Manager instance to use, by selecting the name of the corresponding vCenter Server system in the navigation bar.
- On the Configuration tab, under Settings, click Download Settings.
- In the Download Sources pane, select Direct connection to Internet.
- Choose the type of updates to download by selecting or deselecting the check box next to the type of update.
You can choose whether to download virtual appliance upgrades and host patches and extensions. You cannot edit the download source location of the default ESX/ESXi patches and extensions. You can only enable or disable downloading.
- (Optional) : Add an additional third-party download source for virtual appliances or hosts that are running ESX/ESXi 4.0 and later.
- Click Apply.
- Click Download Now to run the VMware vSphere Update Manager Update Download task.
All notifications and updates are downloaded immediately even if the Enable scheduled download checkbox is not selected in or , respectively.