After you upgrade to vCenter Server 5.5, you can join the system to a Linked Mode group. A Linked Mode group allows you to log in to any single instance of vCenter Server in the group and view and manage the inventories of all the vCenter Server systems in the group.
- From the Start menu, select .
- Click Next.
- Select Modify linked mode configuration and click Next.
- Click Join vCenter Server instance to an existing linked mode group or another instance and click Next.
- Type the server name and LDAP port number of any remote vCenter Server that is or will be a member of the group and click Next.
If you enter an IP address, the installer converts it to a fully qualified domain name.
- If the vCenter Server installer detects a role conflict, select how to resolve the conflict.
A conflict results if the joining system and the Linked Mode group each contain a role with the same name but with different privileges.
Option Description Yes, let VMware vCenter Server resolve the conflicts for me
The role on the joining system is renamed to vcenter_namerole_name where vcenter_name is the name of the vCenter Server system that is joining the Linked Mode group and role_name is the name of the original role.
No, I'll resolve the conflicts myself
To resolve the conflicts manually:
- Using the vSphere Web Client, log in to the vCenter Server system that is joining the Linked Mode group using an account with Administrator privileges.
- Rename the conflicting role.
- Close the vSphere Web Client session and return to the vCenter Server installer.
- Click Back, and click Next.
The installation continues without conflicts.
- Click Finish.
vCenter Server restarts. Depending on the size of your inventory, the change to Linked Mode might take from a few seconds to a few minutes to complete.
After you form a Linked Mode group, you can log in to any single instance of vCenter Server and view and manage the inventories of all the vCenter Servers in the group.
What to do next
For information about Linked Mode groups, see the vCenter Server and Host Management documentation.