You can use Custom Install to upgrade vCenter Single Sign-On, vCenter Inventory Service, and vCenter Server separately to customize the location and configuration of the components.
These instructions upgrade vCenter Inventory Service only. You must install or upgrade vCenter Single Sign-On before upgrading Inventory Service and vCenter Server.
- Review vCenter Single Sign-On Deployment Modes.
- Review How vCenter Single Sign-On Affects vCenter Server Upgrades.
- See Prerequisites for the vCenter Server Upgrade
- Download the vCenter Server Installer.
- Upgrade vCenter Single Sign-On.
- In the software installer directory, double-click the autorun.exe file to start the installer.
- Select vCenter Inventory Service and click Install.
- Follow the prompts in the installation wizard to choose the installer language, and agree to the end user patent and license agreements.
- If you are upgrading or reinstalling an existing instance of Inventory Service, choose whether to keep the existing database or replace it with a new empty database.
- Click Install.
Inventory Service is upgraded.