You can use the Migration wizard to migrate a powered-on virtual machine from one host to another using vMotion technology. To relocate the disks of a powered-on virtual machine, migrate the virtual machine using Storage vMotion.
Before you begin
Before migrating a virtual machine with vMotion, make sure that your hosts and virtual machines meet the requirements for migration with vMotion.
Make sure that your hosts and virtual machines meet the requirements for migration with vMotion. See Host Configuration for vMotion and Virtual Machine Conditions and Limitations for vMotion in the vSphere Web Client.
- Right-click the virtual machine and select Migrate.
- To locate a virtual machine, select a datacenter, folder, cluster, resource pool, host, or vApp.
- Click the Related Objects tab and click Virtual Machines.
- Select Change host and click Next.
- Select the destination resource for the virtual machine migration.
- Select a destination host or cluster for the virtual machine.
Any compatibility problem appears in the Compatibility panel. Fix the problem, or select another host or cluster.
Possible targets include hosts and fully automated DRS clusters. You can select a non-automated cluster as a target. You are prompted to select a host within the non-automated cluster.
- Select the migration priority level and click Next.
Reserve CPU for optimal VMotion performance
vCenter Server attempts to reserve resources on both the source and destination hosts to be shared among all concurrent migrations with vMotion. vCenter Server grants a larger share of host CPU resources. if sufficient CPU resources are not immediately available, vMotion is not initiated.
Perform with available CPU resources
vCenter Server reserves resources on both the source and destination hosts to be shared among all concurrent migration with vMotion. vCenter Server grants a smaller share of host CPU resources. If there is a lack of CPU resources, the duration of vMotion can be extended.
- Review the information on the Review Selections page and click Finish.
- Review the page and click Finish.
vCenter Server moves the virtual machine to the new host. Event messages appear in the Events tab. The data displayed on the Summary tab shows the status and state throughout the migration. If errors occur during migration, the virtual machines revert to their original states and locations.