To explore the complete set of features available for an asset, you can set it to evaluation mode.
- In the vSphere Web Client, navigate to the asset in the inventory.
- On the Manage tab, select Settings.
- Under System, click Licensing.
- Click Assign License Key.
- Select Evaluation mode.
- Click OK to save your changes.
The asset is in evaluation mode and you can explore the entire set of features that are relevant to the highest product edition associated with the asset. If you have already used the asset in evaluation mode, the time that remains in the evaluation period is decreased by the time already used.
You must assign an appropriate license key to the asset before its evaluation period expires. Otherwise the asset will get into unlicensed state and certain functionality will be blocked. For details, see License and Evaluation Period Expiry