You can power off or restart any ESXi host by using the vSphere Web Client. Powering off a managed host disconnects it from vCenter Server, but does not remove it from the inventory.
- In the vSphere Web Client, navigate to the host that you want to shut down.
- Power off all virtual machines on the host.
- Right-click the host and select Reboot or Shutdown.
- If you select Reboot, the ESXi host shuts down and starts.
- If you select Shut Down, the ESXi host shuts down. You must manually power the system back on.
- Provide a reason for the shut down.
This information is added to the log.