You can set a threshold for the license use of products. A threshold helps you to track whether the current license use for a product exceeds certain limits. If the license use for the product exceeds the threshold, an alarm is triggered on the corresponding vCenter Server system.
Before you begin
About this task
You can apply thresholds only to products with use-based licensing models such as per-virtual machine. You can set thresholds below or above the purchased license capacity. You can use thresholds as an additional means to receive notifications if the license use for a product exceeds certain limits. Thresholds do not enforce license use limits.
If the license use for the product exceeds the threshold amount, an alarm is triggered on the corresponding vCenter Server system, and a notice appears on the License Reports view. However, further use of the product is not restricted.
You can set thresholds for the license use of products only for individual vCenter Server systems. You cannot set thresholds for all vCenter Server systems in a Linked Mode group.
- In the vSphere Web Client, select Administration, and under Licensing select License Reports.
- From the vCenter Server drop-down menu, select the vCenter Server system where you want to set a threshold for the license use of a product.
- Select the product from the Products Chart pane.
- Click Edit next to the Alert threshold in the Product Details pane.
- Type a value for the threshold.
- Click OK.
You receive a message that the threshold is successfully set for the relevant product. The view in the Products Chart refreshes after a few seconds and a bar appears that indicates the threshold value as a percent of the license capacity of the product.
The notifications might take several minutes to appear after a threshold is exceeded.