To change the way the virtual machine communicates with the host or other virtual machines over the network, you can change the power-on connection setting, the MAC address, and the network connection for the virtual network adapter configuration for a virtual machine.
Required privilege:on a network if you are changing the network the virtual machine connects to.
- Right-click a virtual machine in the inventory and select Edit Settings.
- On the Virtual Hardware tab, expand Network adapter, and select the network to connect to from the drop-down menu.
The menu lists all networks configured for virtual machine use on the host.
- (Optional) Change the Status settings.
Select or deselect this option while the virtual machine is running to connect or disconnect the virtual network adapter. This check box is not available when the virtual machine is turned off.
Connect at power on
Select this option for the virtual network adapter to connect to the network when the virtual machine turns on. If you do not check this option, you must manually connect the adapter in order for the virtual machine to access the network.
- Select the network adapter type to use from the Adapter Type drop-down menu.
- (Optional) Select how to assign the MAC address from the drop-down menu.
Select Automatic to automatically assign a MAC address.
Select Manual to manually enter the MAC address you want.
- Click OK.