You can add a network adapter (NIC) to a virtual machine to bridge a network, to enhance communications, or to replace an older adapter. When you add a NIC to a virtual machine, you select the adapter type, network connection, and whether the device should connect when the virtual machine is turned on.
Required privilege:on a network.
- Right-click a virtual machine in the inventory and select Edit Settings.
- From the New device drop-down menu, select Network and click Add.
The new network adapter appears at the bottom of the device list.
- (Optional) Expand New Network, and change the Status settings.
Select or deselect this option while the virtual machine is running to connect or disconnect the virtual network adapter. This check box is not available when the virtual machine is not turned on.
Connect at power on
Select this option for the virtual network adapter to connect to the network when the virtual machine turns on. If you do not check this option, you must manually connect the adapter for the virtual machine to access the network.
- Select the network adapter type to use from the Adapter Type drop-down menu.
- (Optional) Select how to assign the MAC address from the drop-down menu.
Select Automatic to automatically assign a MAC address.
Select Manual to manually enter the MAC address that you want.
- From the Network Connection drop-down menu, select the network to connect to.
The menu lists all networks configured for virtual machine use on the host.
- Click OK.