You can download and install the Microsoft Sysprep tool from the Microsoft Web site.
Verify that you download the correct version for the guest operating system to customize. Microsoft has a different version of Sysprep for each release and service pack of Windows. You must use the version of Sysprep specific to the operating system that you are deploying.
The vCenter Server installer creates a Sysprep directory in ALLUSERSPROFILE. The ALLUSERSPROFILE location is usually \Documents And Settings\All Users\. The vpxd.cfg file is also in this location. On Windows 2008, the file location is C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\.
- Download the Sysprep files from the Microsoft Download Center and save them to your local system.
- Open and expand the .cab file.
The contents of the .cab file vary, depending on the operating system.
- Extract the files to the appropriate directory for your guest operating system.
The following Sysprep support directories are created during the vCenter Server installation:
C:\ALLUSERSPROFILE\Application Data\Vmware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep ...\1.1\ ...\2k\ ...\xp\ ...\svr2003\ ...\xp-64\ ...\svr2003-64\
- Select the subdirectory that corresponds to your operating system.
- Click OK to expand the files.
What to do next
Customize a new virtual machine with a supported Windows guest operating system when you clone an existing virtual machine.