You can install the Microsoft Sysprep tool from a CD.
About this task
The vCenter Server installer creates a Sysprep directory in ALLUSERSPROFILE. The ALLUSERSPROFILE location is usually \Documents and Settings\All Users\. The vpxd.cfg file is also in this location. On Windows 2008, the file location is C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\.
- Insert the Windows operating system CD into the CD-ROM drive, often the D: drive.
- Locate the DEPLOY.CAB file in the \Support\Tools directory on the CD.
- Open and expand the DEPLOY.CAB file.
The contents of the .cab file vary, depending on the operating system.
- Extract the files to the directory appropriate for your guest operating system.
The following Sysprep support directories are created during the vCenter Server installation:
C:\ALLUSERSPROFILE\Application Data\Vmware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep ...\1.1\ ...\2k\ ...\xp\ ...\svr2003\ ...\xp-64\ ...\svr2003-64\
- Select the subdirectory that corresponds to your operating system.
- Click OK to expand the files.
- Repeat this procedure to extract Sysprep files for each of the Windows guest operating systems that you plan to customize using vCenter Server.
What to do next
Customize a new virtual machine with a supported Windows guest operating system when you clone an existing virtual machine.