Templates can become unregistered from vCenter Server if they are removed from the inventory or if the hosts with which they are associated are removed from vCenter Server and then readded.
- Browse to or search for the datastore that contains the template.
- Click the Manage tab and click Files.
- Browse to locate the template and click it to display the template files.
The hard disk and configuration and other files appear in the Name column.
- Click the template to display the template files.
- Locate and right-click the .vmtx file and select Register VM.
The Register Virtual Machine wizard appears.
- Maintain the original template name or enter a new name in the Name text box.
- Select a location for the template and click Next.
- Select a host or cluster on which to store the template and click Next.
- Review your selections and click Finish.
- To verify that the template is reregistered, check the host or cluster inventory.
Browse to the host. Click the Related Objects tab, and click VM Templates.
Browse to the cluster. In the inventory view, select VM Templates to display the list of templates.
The template is registered to the host. Click the Related Objects tab, and click VM Templates to view the template. You can view the template from the host’s Related Objects tab by clicking VM Templates .