vSphere DirectPath I/O allows a guest operating system on a virtual machine to directly access physical PCI and PCIe devices connected to a host. Each virtual machine can be connected to up to six PCI devices.
PCI devices connected to a host can be marked as available for passthrough from the Hardware Advanced Settings in the Configuration tab for the host.
Snapshots are not supported with PCI vSphere Direct Path I/O devices.
- To use DirectPath I/O, verify that the host has Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) or AMD I/O Virtualization Technology (IOMMU) enabled in the BIOS.
- Verify that the PCI devices are connected to the host and marked as available for passthrough.
- Verify that the virtual machine is using hardware version 7 or later.
- In the vSphere Client inventory, right-click the virtual machine and select Edit Settings.
- On the Hardware tab, click Add.
- In the Add Hardware wizard, select PCI Device and click Next.
- Select the passthrough device to connect to the virtual machine from the drop-down list and click Next.
- Click Finish.