You can connect the CD/DVD device to a physical DVD or CD-ROM device that resides on the host.
You cannot use vMotion to migrate virtual machines that have CD drives that are backed by the physical CD drive on the host. You must disconnect these devices before you migrate the virtual machine.
When you add a CD/DVD-ROM drive that is backed by a USB CD/DVD drive on the host, you must add the drive as a SCSI device. Hot adding or removing SCSI devices from an ESXi host is not supported.
Ensure that the host is powered off before you add USB CD/DVD-ROM devices.
- In the vSphere Client inventory, right-click the virtual machine and select Edit Settings.
- Click the Hardware tab and select the CD/DVD drive.
- Select or deselect the Connected check box to connect or disconnect the device.
- If you do not want the CD-ROM drive connected when the virtual machine starts, deselect Connect at power on.
- Select Host Device under Device Type and select a device from the drop-down menu.
- (Optional) In the drop-down menu under Virtual Device Node, select the node the drive uses in the virtual machine.
- Click OK to save your changes.