Storage DRS allows you to manage the aggregated resources of a datastore cluster. When Storage DRS is enabled, it provides recommendations for virtual machine disk placement and migration to balance space and I/O resources across the datastores in the datastore cluster.
Before you begin
Launch the vSphere Client and log in to a vCenter Server system.
About this task
When you enable Storage DRS, you enable the following functions.
Space load balancing among datastores within a datastore cluster.
I/O load balancing among datastores within a datastore cluster.
Initial placement for virtual disks based on space and I/O workload.
The Enable Storage DRS check box in the Datastore Cluster Settings dialog box enables or disables all of these components at once. If necessary, you can disable I/O-related functions of Storage DRS independently of space balancing functions.
When you disable Storage DRS on a datastore cluster, Storage DRS settings are preserved. When you enable Storage DRS, the settings for the datastore cluster are restored to the point where Storage DRS was disabled.
- In the vSphere Client inventory, right-click a datastore cluster and select Edit Settings.
- Click General.
- Select Turn on Storage DRS and click OK.
- (Optional) : To disable only I/O-related functions of Storage DRS, leaving space-related controls enabled, perform the following steps.
- Select SDRS Runtime Rules.
- Deselect the Enable I/O metric for Storage DRS check box.
- Click OK.