Storage DRS allows you to manage the aggregated resources of a datastore cluster. When Storage DRS is enabled, it provides recommendations for virtual machine disk placement and migration to balance space and I/O resources across the datastores in the datastore cluster.
About this task
When you enable Storage DRS, you enable the following functions.
Space load balancing among datastores within a datastore cluster.
I/O load balancing among datastores within a datastore cluster.
Initial placement for virtual disks based on space and I/O workload.
The Enable Storage DRS check box in the Datastore Cluster Settings dialog box enables or disables all of these components at once. If necessary, you can disable I/O-related functions of Storage DRS independently of space balancing functions.
When you disable Storage DRS on a datastore cluster, Storage DRS settings are preserved. When you enable Storage DRS, the settings for the datastore cluster are restored to the point where Storage DRS was disabled.
Launch the vSphere Client and log in to a vCenter Server system.
- In the vSphere Client inventory, right-click a datastore cluster and select Edit Settings.
- Click General.
- Select Turn on Storage DRS and click OK.
- (Optional) To disable only I/O-related functions of Storage DRS, leaving space-related controls enabled, perform the following steps.
- Select SDRS Runtime Rules.
- Deselect the Enable I/O metric for Storage DRS check box.
- Click OK.