To use a directory service, you must join the host to the directory service domain.
You can enter the domain name in one of two ways:
name.tld (for example, domain.com): The account is created under the default container.
name.tld/container/path (for example, domain.com/OU1/OU2): The account is created under a particular organizational unit (OU).
To use the vSphere Authentication Proxy service (CAM service), see the vSphere Security documentation.
Verify that the vSphere Client is connected to the host.
- Select a host in the vSphere Client inventory, and click the Configuration tab.
- Under Software, click Authentication Services.
- Click Properties.
- In the User Directory Services dialog box, select the directory service from the drop-down menu.
- Enter a domain.
Use the form name.tld or name.tld/container/path.
- Click Join Domain.
- Enter the user name and password of a directory service user who has permissions to join the host to the domain, and click OK.
- Click OK to close the Directory Services Configuration dialog box.