You can assign a WWN to a new virtual machine with an RDM disk when you create this virtual machine.
About this task
You can create from 1 to 16 WWN pairs, which can be mapped to the first 1 to 16 physical HBAs on the host.
Launch the vSphere Client and log in to a vCenter Server system or an ESXi host.
- Open the New Virtual Machine wizard.
- Select Custom, and click Next.
- Follow all steps required to create a custom virtual machine.
- On the Select a Disk page, select Raw Device Mapping, and click Next.
- From a list of SAN disks or LUNs, select a raw LUN you want your virtual machine to access directly.
- Select a datastore for the RDM mapping file.
You can place the RDM file on the same datastore where your virtual machine files reside, or select a different datastore.Note:
If you want to use vMotion for a virtual machine with enabled NPIV, make sure that the RDM file is located on the same datastore where the virtual machine configuration file resides.
- Follow the steps required to create a virtual machine with the RDM.
- On the Ready to Complete page, select the Edit the virtual machine settings before completion check box and click Continue.
The Virtual Machine Properties dialog box opens.
- Assign WWNs to the virtual machine.
- Click the Options tab, and select Fibre Channel NPIV.
- Select Generate new WWNs.
- Specify the number of WWNNs and WWPNs.
A minimum of 2 WWPNs are needed to support failover with NPIV. Typically only 1 WWNN is created for each virtual machine.
- Click Finish.
The host creates WWN assignments for the virtual machine.
What to do next
Register newly created WWNs in the fabric so that the virtual machine is able to log in to the switch, and assign storage LUNs to the WWNs.