You can set the power options so that a virtual machine is suspended or remains powered on when the guest operating system is placed on standby.
Power Management options are not available on every guest operating system. Wake on LAN supports only Windows guest operating systems and is not available on Vlance NICs, or when a Flexible NIC is operating in Vlance mode (that is, the current VMware Tools are not installed on the guest operating system).
Wake on LAN can resume virtual machines that are in an S1 sleep state only. It cannot resume suspended, hibernated, or powered off virtual machines.
The following NICs support Wake on LAN:
- Flexible (VMware Tools required).
- Enhanced vmxnet
- vmxnet 3
You must power off the virtual machine.
- In the vSphere Client inventory, right-click the virtual machine and select Edit Settings.
- Click the Options tab and expand Power Management.
- Select a power option.
- Suspend the virtual machine
- Put the guest OS into standby mode and leave the virtual machine powered on
- (Optional) Select Wake on LAN for virtual machine traffic on and select the virtual NICs to trigger this action.
Unsupported NICs might be listed, but are unavailable to connect.
- Click OK to save your changes.