Use a physical floppy drive or a floppy image to add a floppy drive to a virtual machine.
ESXi does not support floppy drives that are backed by a physical floppy drive on the host.
- In the vSphere Client inventory, right-click the virtual machine and select Edit Settings.
- Select the Hardware tab and click Add.
- Select Floppy Drive, and click Next.
- Select the device type to use for this virtual device.
Option Description Use a physical floppy drive Select this option to connect the floppy device to a physical floppy device or a .flp floppy image on the system running the vSphere Client.
To connect the device, click the Floppy Connections button in the toolbar when you power on the virtual machine.
Use a floppy image
- Select this option to connect the virtual device to an existing floppy image on a datastore accessible to the host.
- Click Browse and select the floppy image.
Create a blank floppy image
- Select this option to create a floppy image on a datastore accessible to the host.
- Click Browse and browse to the location for the floppy image.
- Enter a name for the floppy image and click OK.
- To have the floppy drive connected to the virtual machine when you power it on, select Connect at power on.
- Click Next.
- Review the information on the Ready to Complete page, and click Finish.
- Click OK to save your changes.