You can add one or more USB passthrough devices from a client computer to a virtual machine in the vSphere Client. The devices must be connected to a client computer that connects to the ESXi host on which the virtual machines reside.
The devices maintain their virtual machine connections in S1 standby, if the vSphere Client is running and connected. After you add the USB device to the virtual machine, an information message appears on the client computer stating that the device is disconnected. The device remains disconnected from the client computer until the virtual machine releases it.
FT is not supported with USB passthrough from a client computer to a virtual machine.
- Verify that a USB controller is installed.
- Verify that the vSphere Client is connected to the ESXi host on which the virtual machines are running.
- Required Privilege:
- Select the virtual machine in the vSphere Client inventory.
- Click the USB icon on the virtual machine toolbar.
- Select an available device from the Connect to USB Devices drop-down menu.
The status of the device appears as Connecting.
The device appears in the USB Connections drop-down menu and is ready to use. The device remains connected until you power off the virtual machine or disconnect the vSphere Client from the ESXi host.