You can power off or restart (reboot) any ESXi host using the vSphere Client. Powering off a managed host disconnects it from vCenter Server, but does not remove it from the inventory.
- In the vSphere Client, select the host in the inventory.
- Shut down all virtual machines running on the ESXi host.
- Right-click the ESXi host and select Reboot or Shut Down.
- If you select Reboot, the ESXi host shuts down and reboots.
- If you select Shut Down, the ESXi host shuts down. You must manually power the system back on.
- Provide a reason for the shut down.
This information is added to the log.