You can edit general distributed port group settings such as the distributed port group name and port group type.
- Open a vSphere Client connection to a vCenter Server.
- Verify that you have sufficient permissions to edit a distributed switch.
- Log in to the vSphere Client and select the Networking inventory view.
- Right-click the distributed port group in the inventory pane, and select Edit Settings.
- Select General to edit the following distributed port group settings.
Option Action Name Type the name for the distributed port group. Description Type a brief description of the distributed port group. Number of Ports Type the number of ports on the distributed port group. Port binding Choose when ports are assigned to virtual machines connected to this distributed port group.
- Select Static binding to assign a port to a virtual machine when the virtual machine connects to the distributed port group. This option is not available when the vSphere Client is connected directly to ESXi.
- Select Dynamic binding to assign a port to a virtual machine the first time the virtual machine powers on after it is connected to the distributed port group. Dynamic binding is deprecated in ESXi 5.x.
- Select Ephemeral for no port binding. This option is not available when the vSphere Client is connected directly to ESXi.
- Click OK.