Use the Guest Customization wizard to save guest operating system settings in a specification that you can apply when cloning virtual machines or deploying from templates.
Ensure that all requirements for customization are met. See Guest Operating System Customization Requirements.
- From the vSphere Client Home page, select Customization Specifications Manager.
- Click the Create New Specification icon.
- Select Linux from the Target Virtual Machine OS menu.
- Under Customization Specification Information, enter a name for the specification and an optional description and click Next.
- Specify how to determine the host name to identify the guest operating system on the network.
Enter a name
Type a name.
The name can contain alphanumeric characters and the hyphen (-) character. It cannot contain periods (.) or blank spaces and cannot be made up of digits only. Names are not case-sensitive.
To ensure that the name is unique, select Append a numeric value to ensure uniqueness. This appends a hyphen followed by a numeric value to the virtual machine name. The name is truncated if it exceeds 15 characters when combined with the numeric value.
Use the virtual machine name
The computer name that vCenter Server creates is identical to the name of the virtual machine on which the guest operating system is running. If the name exceeds 15 characters, it is truncated.
Enter a name in the Deploy wizard
The vSphere Web Client prompts you to enter a name after the cloning or deployment is complete.
Generate a name using the custom application configured with vCenter Server
Enter a parameter that can be passed to the custom application.
- Enter the Domain Name for the computer and click Next.
- Select the time zone for the virtual machine and click Next.
- Select the type of network settings to apply to the guest operating system.
Select Typical settings and click Next.
vCenter Server configures all network interfaces from a DHCP server using default settings.
Select Custom settings and click Next.
For each network interface in the virtual machine, click the ellipsis button (...) .
Enter IP address and other network settings and click OK.
When all network interfaces are configured, click Next.
- Enter DNS and domain settings.
- Click Finish to save your changes.
The customization specification that you created is listed in the Customization Specification Manager. You can use the specification to customize virtual machine guest operating systems.