VMFS datastores serve as repositories for virtual machines. You can set up VMFS datastores on any SCSI-based storage devices that the host discovers, including Fibre Channel, iSCSI, and local storage devices.
Launch the vSphere Client and log in to a vCenter Server system.
Before creating datastores, you must install and configure any adapters that your storage requires. Rescan the adapters to discover newly added storage devices.
- Log in to the vSphere Client and select the host from the Inventory panel.
- Click the Configuration tab and click Storage in the Hardware panel.
- Click Datastores and click Add Storage.
- Select the Disk/LUN storage type and click Next.
- Select a device to use for your datastore and click Next.
Select the device that does not have a datastore name displayed in the VMFS Label column. If a name is present, the device contains a copy of an existing VMFS datastore.
- Select the File System Version and click Next.
If you select VMFS3 you must select the maximum file size under Formatting.
- If the disk is not blank, review the current disk layout in the top panel of the Current Disk Layout page and select a configuration option from the bottom panel.
Use all available partitions
Dedicates the entire disk to a single VMFS datastore. If you select this option, all file systems and data currently stored on this device are destroyed.
Use free space
Deploys a VMFS datastore in the remaining free space of the disk.
If the disk you are formatting is blank, the Current Disk Layout page presents the entire disk space for storage configuration.
- Click Next.
- On the Properties page, type a datastore name and click Next.
- If the space specified for storage is excessive for your purposes, you can adjust the capacity values.
By default, the entire free space on the storage device is available.
- Click Next.
- In the Ready to Complete page, review the datastore configuration information and click Finish.
A datastore on the SCSI-based storage device is created. If you use the vCenter Server system to manage your hosts, the newly created datastore is added to all hosts.