Enabling jumbo frame support on a virtual machine requires an enhanced vmxnet adapter for that virtual machine.
Launch the vSphere Client and log in to a vCenter Server system.
- Log in to the vSphere Client and select the virtual machine from the inventory panel.
- Click the Summary tab, and click Edit Settings.
- Select the network adapter from the Hardware list.
- Record the network settings and MAC address that the network adapter is using.
- Click Remove to remove the network adapter from the virtual machine.
- Click Add.
- Select Ethernet Adapter and click Next.
- In the Adapter Type group, select Enhanced vmxnet.
- Select the network that the old network adapter was using and click Next.
- Click Finish.
- Select the new network adapter from the Hardware list.
- Under MAC Address, select Manual, and enter the MAC address that the old network adapter was using.
- Click OK.
- Check that the Enhanced vmxnet adapter is connected to a standard switch or distributed switch with jumbo frames enabled.
- Inside the guest operating system, configure the network adapter to allow jumbo frames.
See your guest operating system’s documentation for details.
- Configure all physical switches and any physical or virtual machines to which this virtual machine connects to support jumbo frames.