You can change the amount of CPU resources allocated to a virtual machine by using the shares, reservations, and limits settings.
- Places a limit on the consumption of CPU time for a virtual machine. This value is expressed in MHz.
- Specifies the guaranteed minimum allocation for a virtual machine. The reservation is expressed in MHz.
- In the vSphere Client inventory, right-click the virtual machine and select Edit Settings.
- Click the Resources tab and select CPU.
- Allocate the CPU capacity for this virtual machine.
Option Description Shares
CPU shares for this virtual machine in relation to the parent’s total. Sibling virtual machines share resources according to their relative share values bounded by the reservation and limit. Select Low, Normal, or High, which specify share values respectively in a 1:2:4 ratio. Select Custom to give each virtual machine a specific number of shares, which express a proportional weight.
Guaranteed CPU allocation for this virtual machine.
Upper limit for this virtual machine’s CPU allocation. Select Unlimited to specify no upper limit.
- Click OK to save your changes.