With the software-based iSCSI implementation, you can use standard NICs to connect your host to a remote iSCSI target on the IP network. The software iSCSI adapter that is built into ESXi facilitates this connection by communicating with the physical NICs through the network stack.
Before you can use the software iSCSI adapter, you must set up networking, activate the adapter, and configure parameters such as discovery addresses and CHAP.
The software iSCSI adapter configuration workflow includes these steps:
- Activate the software iSCSI adapter.
- Configure networking for iSCSI.
Configuring the network involves creating a VMkernel interface for each physical network adapter that you use for iSCSI and associating all interfaces with the software iSCSI adapter.
- (Optional) Enable Jumbo Frames.
- Configure discovery information.
- (Optional) Configure CHAP parameters.